The Department of Music has received a generous donation from Nina Sanders and Peter Sanders, daughter and son of the late Professor Emeritus, Ernest H. Sanders, who passed away at the age of 99 in early 2018. This donation was a bequest from Sanders in recognition of the Columbia University committee that accepted him into the PhD program in the Department of Music in 1950, despite the fact that he did not have a Bachelor’s degree. The committee recognized the value of his gymnasium education at the Academic School of the Johanneum in Hamburg, Germany, thereby allowing him to complete his Masters and PhD in Music. His education at Columbia University would become the foundation of his distinguished career at the university and in the world of Medieval studies.
Ernest Sanders studied piano for three years at Juilliard before attending Columbia University to pursue academia. He was a Lecturer, Assistant Professor and Associate Professor in Music from 1954 until 1972, when he was appointed to full Professor in Music, a position he held until his retirement in 1986. Upon retirement, he was named Professor Emeritus of Music. Sanders also served as Chair of the Department of Music from 1978 to 1985.
At the request of the family, the funds from this gift will be utilized in the area of Historical Musicology. This donation will benefit graduate students pursing their degrees in the department Sanders enjoyed for 30 years of his career.