The requirements listed below are specific to this department and must be read in conjunction with the general requirements of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Prospective applicants should be sure to read the GSAS Prospective Students Page, the GSAS General Admissions Page, and the GSAS Department of Music Admissions Page.
Fall Admission only: Deadline, ca. December 15 (can vary in some years, be sure to check GSAS page for actual date).
Historical Musicology and Music Theory
- a strong foundation in the history and theory of Western music
- a reading knowledge of at least one language in addition to the applicant's native language
- 2 essays (totalling at least 15-20 pages)
- a background in social sciences, preferably in cultural anthropology, is desirable
- reading and/or oral knowledge of at least one language in addition to the applicant's native language
- 1 essay (15-20 pages)
- proficiency in advanced contrapuntal writing and mastery of tonal forms are desirable
- 2 or 3 musical scores with accompanying CD recordings
- 1 essay on a musical topic (8-15 pages)